A talented artist, as well as a much sought-after workshop instructor, Kathie George resides in Kettering, Ohio. She paints (and teaches) watermedia and collage, but is best known for her ‘batik on rice paper’ work. Her fresh approach and skillful color application is well suited to the rice paper surface. Her workshops are in demand all over the US. Her ‘batik on rice paper’ work has been featured in Artist, Watercolor Artist magazines, SPLASH! 11 thru 15 and most recently included in the Splash Retrospective 20 years of Contemporary Watercolor Excellence.
Kathie is known for her friendly, energetic approach to teaching. She enjoys working with beginners, but also loves to show more advanced painters how to take their skills to the next level. She loves her job and it shows! Teaching YOU how to have confidence in your work and building your skills is a high priority – but having fun is, too!
Her batik process is an emotional and challenging one, building layer upon layer of wax and color. There is mystery and excitement involved as the painting progresses because it becomes increasingly difficult to see color and images as the wax builds. At that point, she relies on emotion and internal feeling to guide her. Intuitively, she knows when the piece if complete.
Kathie George’s award winning work is included in many corporate and private collections in the US and abroad. She has twice been a finalist in Artist Magazine’s Art Competition and her work was featured in their Limited Edition Calendar. Kathie has authored 4 watercolor books and written numerous magazine articles. She’s a signature member of the Ohio and Florida Watercolor Societies.
JURIED EXHIBITIONS (partial list)
- National Watercolor Society
- Ohio Watercolor Society, Exhibition Award
- Louisiana Watercolor Society International Exhibit
- ARTIST Magazine Art Competition Finalist – selected for Limited Edition calendar
- Louisiana Tech University, Design Encounter – Best of Show
- Schumacher Gallery, Capital University, Canton, OH
- Florida Watercolor Society
PUBLICATIONS (partial list)
- Artist Sketchbook, cover and special feature
- American Artist magazine
- The Decorative Painter
- Painting Acrylics by Vicki Lord, published by Northlight Publications
- Winsor & Newton ad, painting featured
- Watercolor Made Easy, Volumes I – IV
- Watercolor Magazine
- Cornell Museum of Art & History Multi-media Exhibition
- Palm Beach Watercolor Society 25th Anniversary Exhibition
To take a Gel Press workshop with Kathie George, check out her listings on our event calendar.
You can find out more about Kathie at www.kathiegeorge.com and follow her on her social media sites, listed below: